If you have recently come down with a diabetes diagnosis in in the DFW area, it is extremely important to see a qualified and experienced Tarrant County podiatrist ASAP. Regular foot exams can be an essential step in recognizing and managing any foot problems before they become serious.
Diabetes Preventative Care
When you suffer from diabetes, it can affect your feet. Proper preventative care is an important part of ensuring your condition doesn’t cause infection or damage your ability to walk. It is common for those with a diabetes diagnosis to develop foot ulcers and other foot-related complications. If the ulcers or other issues are not treated promptly and properly, they can often lead to more serious complications or even amputation.
It is best to consult with an experienced Tarrant County podiatrist to discuss your specific concerns and any diabetes-related problems. Your Tarrant County podiatrist will examine your feet for conditions such as diabetic neuropathy or poor circulation as well as:
- Sores or blisters
- Cracks in your toenails
- Gangrene, and other fungal or bacterial infections between your toes
- Calluses or ulcers caused by shoes that don’t fit well
In addition, your Tarrant County podiatrist may suggest at-home care such as:
- Inspecting your feet daily to check for any cuts, bruises, or wounds that are not healing
- Washing your feet in warm water using a mild soap
- Moisturizing your feet daily with a lotion that can penetrate through dry, hardened skin and keep the feet soft and hydrated
Time to See a Tarrant County Podiatrist
You should keep a regular schedule to have your feet checked by a Tarrant County podiatrist, and you should contact your doctor if you are experiencing symptoms such as:
- Tingling or burning in your feet
- Pain that worsens during activity
- Loss of feeling in your feet
- Inability to sense hot or cold
- A blister or sore that is not healing
- Visible changes or a deformity in your feet
- Thickened or discolored toenails
- Dry or cracked skin on your feet
Contact Us With Questions About Your Diabetes Diagnosis
If you have questions about a recent diabetes diagnosis or are experiencing pain in your feet or ankles, our Tarrant County podiatrist can help. To request an appointment in our Grapevine or Keller offices, fill out our convenient online contact form, or call our office today.