Flat feet in adults is a condition where the arches of the feet have fallen or collapsed, and there is no visible arch in the foot. For most adults, being flat-footed does not cause any problems, but when the condition causes discomfort, muscle pain in the feet or legs, pain when walking, stiffness, or issues with mobility, it may be time to see a podiatrist in DFW for an evaluation. An experienced DFW podiatrist can recommend various treatments to correct the condition and get you back on your feet.
Causes of Flat Feet in Adults
Unlike in children, flat feet in adults does not go away over time. In adults, flat feet may develop due to a number of reasons such as:
- Trauma or injury
- Having weak arches
- Disease of the muscular or nervous system
- Having a condition such as tarsal coalition or diabetes
- Being overweight
Diagnosis and Treatment for Flat Feet in Adults
If you are experiencing pain and discomfort from flat feet, contact a podiatrist in DFW for an evaluation. A podiatrist can diagnose flat feet by examining and evaluating the arches of your feet. In addition, imaging tests may be ordered to check the bone structure of your feet.
Flat feet in adults can be successfully treated using a variety of options. The goal in treating flat feet is to reduce pain and get you back to enjoying the activities you want to do. A podiatrist in DFW may recommend the following treatment options:
- Medication. Medication such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can be used to reduce pain and inflammation in the feet. Rest and ice can also be used to provide relief from symptoms.
- Supportive devices. Using custom orthotics in your shoes or braces on your feet or legs can provide support and add stability.
- Therapy and exercise. Physical therapy may be prescribed to help stretch and strengthen the tendons and muscles in the feet. Specific exercises may be recommended to help with mobility and flexibility.
For certain patients, surgery may be an option to consider if you have constant foot pain, trouble standing, or can no longer perform daily activities due to the discomfort of the condition. There are various surgeries that can be done to correct flat feet in adults such as:
- Joint fusion
- Achilles lengthening
- Tendon transfer
- Ligament repair
Contact Our Experienced Podiatrist in DFW Today
If you have questions about treatment for flat feet in adults, contact Alliance Foot & Ankle Specialists. To schedule an appointment with our DFW podiatrist in our Grapevine or Keller office, fill out our online contact form, or call us today.