Foot Wound Treatment Options
After a podiatrist in Tarrant County diagnoses a foot wound, treatment options will be discussed. The type of treatment recommended for a foot wound depends on factors such as how severe the wound is and where it is located. Your podiatrist will explain the pros and cons of each option, so you can make an informed decision about your care.
Common Treatment Options for a Foot Wound
- Cleaning the wound. A foot wound should be kept clean by daily washing with mild soap and warm water. Wounds should be covered with a bandage or dressing that is changed daily.
- Taking pressure off the wound by off-loading. This can be done by padding the area over the wound or using a walking aid such as crutches.
- Debridement. Dead skin and tissue can be removed by debridement to speed up the healing process.
- Medication. A podiatrist can prescribe medication for a foot wound that is painful or infected. In addition, there are also over-the-counter medications that can be used to help manage symptoms.
- Surgery. In cases where conservative treatments are not effective, surgery may be an option to correct any underlying issues that are preventing a foot wound from healing.
Types of Prescription Medications for Foot Wounds
If medication is needed to treat a foot wound, there are several options a podiatrist may recommend. Prescription medication for a foot wound is often used for a short period of time along with other treatment options. Medications that may be prescribed by a podiatrist are:
- Antibiotics. If a foot wound has become infected, antibiotics may be prescribed to stop the infection from spreading.
- Topical treatments. There are prescription-strength topical sprays, creams, and/or ointments that can be used to help with infection and promote healing.
- Pain medication. If over-the-counter pain relievers do not help reduce pain, a prescription pain reliever may be used to help manage pain associated with a foot wound.
Contact Our Tarrant County Podiatrist if You're Suffering From a Foot Wound
If you have a foot wound, contact our Tarrant County podiatrist at Alliance Foot & Ankle Specialists for a consultation today. We can answer your questions and create a custom treatment plan based on your specific needs. Contact our Grapevine or Keller office to request an appointment by filling out our convenient online contact form or calling our office at 817-481-4000.